Many thanks for dropping by to my blog.
For further information please visit my website http://www.michelle-smart.com/

Wednesday 17 October 2012

Getting to Know You.

In all the time I've been doing this blog I have rarely strayed from the topic of me. Me, me, me, me, me! Well not anymore. Today I would like to introduce you to a debut author who I am certain will soon be a tour de force in the romance industry. She also happens to be a good friend of mine, so, without any further ado, allow me to introduce you to Aimee Duffy, author of The Monster of Fame.

Now, for those of you expecting an in-depth interview on the writing process blah, blah, blah, I apologise. I'm only interested in the, well, interesting stuff!

Q) How many pairs of shoes do you own?
A) I have a cupboard for my shoes, a shelf at my front door and I have shoes in boxes. If I was to hazard a guess, I’d say somewhere around 30 pairs. Funny thing is, I don’t own trainers!

Q) If you were stuck on a desert island and could only choose one book, one film and one album, what would they be and why? Also, what fictional man would you want there with you (he must come from a book) and why?
A) One book. Really? Okay, I’d probably choose something really erotic (since I’m gonna be there with a hot guy. We could try out the scenes). The film would be Lord of the Rings, the second one. Orlando Bloom is lush as a blond! I’d have to take U2’s Joshua Tree, cause I can’t go any length of time without Bono. I’m in love with that man’s voice! The guy would have to be Gideon Cross from Bared To You. I love a tortured hero and he’s way hotter than Christian Grey.

Q) If you could have any superpower for a day, what would it be and why?
A) Is x-ray vision a perverted answer? I’d like to have the ability to change the weather, like Storm from X-men. Then I could be warm all year round without moving ;)

Q) Does it always rain in Scotland?
A) For the most part. It also snows and you get big hailstones. This is why I want the ability to change the weather.

Q) What was your dream job when you were five years old? (personally, I wanted to work on a till in a shop!).
A) I wanted to be a vet, then realised animal blood makes my stomach churn. Plus I don’t think I could cope with watching anything die, so doctor and nurse was ruled out quickly.

Q) What was your favourite childhood book and why?
A) I loved the Goosebumps books, especially Welcome to Dead House by R.L. Stine. It freaked me out, but I couldn’t get enough of it. I was obsessed with ghost stories, and as a result slept with the light on. Drove my mum nuts.

Q)) If you won the lottery (and we're talking squillions not a paltry million or two), what would be the first thing you would buy after a magnum of champagne?
A) The first ticket out of Scotland. Seriously. I want to travel the world and after handing out a big chunk to all my family and friends, I’d be off. Preferably Vegas first, but I’m not fussy ;).

Q) What's your favourite drink?
A) It’s a toss up between vodka with diet cola or Jagerbombs.

Q) What's your favourite joke (be as rude as you like)? *
A) How do you make a potato puff?

     Chase it round the garden.

Q) If you could go back in time and talk to your ten year old self, what advice would you give and why?

A) I wouldn’t know where to start. I was a terror. I used to climb trees and my friends and I spent our summers in the woods, breaking things (mostly bones from falling out of trees), getting hurt after pinching hammers and nails to build tree-houses (I have the scars to prove it!) and when it rained, we weren’t discouraged. I’d have probably said to listen to my mum and look after my clothes because I always came in covered in mud. Oh, and I’d have said to stay away from the River Forth. Falling in was the most unpleasant experience of my life. I’d have taken a broken leg over that any day!
* I would like to point out that Aimee was a nightmare to get a joke out of as she only knows rude jokes and refused to share one of those beauties in case of offending anyone. I'm very disappointed in her quality of joke and if anyone out there has a better one please leave it as a comment.

Thank you Aimee! And all the best of luck with your debut book, The Monster of Fame.


Can the voice of an angel heal a tortured soul?

As a general rule I do not write reviews. If I like a book I shout about it from the rooftops but reviews? Nope. Quite frankly I am pants at them, so I will try to keep this one short but sweet.

The Monster of Fame is a love story set around the ficitional reality show Do You have What It Takes? Think X-Factor meets The Voice featuring a sexy Simon Cowell without the Botox or moobs, and with an actual personality. And a heart (although this is kept well hidden from the world).This would be Miles, our gorgeous tortured hero.
Then we have our heroine, Anna, a sweet Scottish girl with the voice of an angel and the self-confidence of a dustpan.
I'm not going to tell you what happens or give any spoilers (you'll have to read it for yourselves to find out!), but suffice it to say, I adored this book. Aimee's writing is so fluid you get sucked right into the story and right into a showbiz world that rarely has substance behind the floss - The Monster of Fame has substance aplenty. There were moments when I laughed out loud and, I am not ashamed to say, moments of despair that made me cry.

All-in-all, this is a cracking debut and a book I will gladly shout about from the rooftops.

(The Monster of Fame can be purchased via Amazon.co.uk , Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble

Take care all xxx





17 comments:

  1. Paddy and Mick are walking home after a night on the tiles. They've got no money to get a taxi and are staggering all over the place when they find themselves outside the bus depot.

    Paddy has a brainwave and says to Mick "Get in there and steal a bus so we can drive home and I'll stay out here and look out for the police".

    Mick duly breaks into the garage and is gone for twenty minutes while Paddy is wondering what the hell he's doing. Eventually Paddy sticks his head around the door and sees Mick running from bus to bus and looking very worried.

    "What the hell are you doing Mick, get a move on!" Paddy shouts.

    To which Mick replies "I can't find a number 7 anywhere Paddy".

    Paddy, holding his hands to his head in disbelief, shouts "You bloody eegit Mick, steal a number 9 and we'll get off at the roundabout and walk the rest of the way!".

    :P

    Thank you for a lovely interview and review! It was fun! zzz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha! That's more like it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quite liked the poor old potato puffing round the garden...

    Fab interview, great review. I just got given an e reader gizmo so will definitely be buying (once I wrest it from my families grasp)

    Just looked at my sorry shoe collection - two pairs of trainers with recently discovered holes and assorted variety of sandals and boots that have seen better days - maybe this is where I am going wrong - all romance writers need shoes...

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was SUCH a fun interview. I should have known you'd break from the norm, Michelle. Loved the questions. Great answers, Aimee. Should I not admit that I laughed out loud at the potato puff joke? I'm afraid that's my level. Huge congrats on the debut, Aimee. Wishing you loads of success. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't tell Aimee but I did have little chuckle at the potato joke too!
    Nina, I'm pretty sure there's a romance writer's by-law that lots of sparkly shoes are a necessity. Alas, my own shoe collection is nowhere near Aimee's standard but I am doing my best to catch-up!
    As for you LiPry, best you start thinking up some jokes as it will be your turn soon...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo, heck. Based on those questions I could be hit with anything!! Right then, jokes... hmmm... they're the ones where you're supposed to be funny, right? Might be better off sticking to sparkly things... ;-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nina, I'm not a trainer person (probably because I don't actually walk anywhere!). I live too near a train station, bus routes and get a lift to work. Sparkly heels all the way!

    LiPry, I liked the potato puff joke too. I did tell Michelle another one that night, but I don't think it's PG enough for a blog. But that's me all over!

    Chelle, can't wait to see what you come up with for LiPry. I'll be picking her brains too, and I'll be getting down, dirty and personal :D Don't say you weren't warned missy ;)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle/ Aimee - am considering using my daughters glitter stick on my trainers (my son's solution) Alternatively may go shopping...what do you think I should do??
    Nina xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Visit River Island!!!! Pricey, but it doesn't have a pair of shoes there I haven't lusted over. If it's out of your price range, try Schuh. Those are sexy. Erm, glittery trainers aren't my thing, but Schuh sells trainers and trainers that look like boots. Win, win :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Watch this space - or shall tweet (wow can't believe I can say that)once I own proper romance writer shoes...

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! Tweet pictures! And I agree with Aimee - River Island have fantastic sparkly shoes. I had a lovely time a few months back at Bicester Village in the Jimmy Choo shop. So what if I couldn't afford any of them (even though they were allegedly discounted - I kid you not, the cheapest pair was £130, and that was for FLIP FLOPS!)? I tried loads of shoes on and then left empty handed ha ha ha! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, A Jimmy Choo sale? Why didn't I know about this?

      I don't own Jimmy's (sadly, but Alexa loves hers), I do have a pair of Diors which I've never worn and are still in the box. I take them out and drool on occasion.

      My River Island PVC thigh-highs are my favourtie boots ever! Got them when I was 16, a good ten years ago now, and have worn them over 100 times. Even to work under trousers. Sexy shoes are the way forward. £200 or not ;) xxx

      Delete
    2. There's a Jimmy Choo shop at Bicester Village, a big Outlet shopping place - the majority of the major designers are there and they tend to sell their out of season stuff. xxx

      Delete
  12. Haha! What a brilliant interview! I really enjoyed reading it ladies.

    I got a great joke sent to me today....bit rude but had to share....

    I'm at A & E. Just a quick word of warning....The Dyson Ball Cleaner is not what you think it is!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete