Many thanks for dropping by to my blog.
For further information please visit my website http://www.michelle-smart.com/

Thursday 5 April 2012

Rejection but no Dejection

Last night I finally received an email from the editor with my full - they're passing on the book. Both the ed and the senior ed love my voice and writing style but unfortunately they felt the hero wasn't fully fleshed out and the heroine had a tendency to come across on occasion  as immature. The good news is, they want to work with me on a new story putting into practise everything I have learnt. And, through the three rounds of revisions, I have learnt so much - when I wrote this book (well over two years ago!) my focus was very much on the heroine - in a way, the hero was merely a foil. Since I started the revision process, I have learnt that the hero deserves as much care and attention as the heroine, and right from the very beginning of the story. I can't just plonk a big alpha male in the story and expect him to bring himself to life - that's my job! Luckily, I have written a further two and a half books with heroes that, at least in my own head, are fully formed. I know them as intimately as I know the heroines.
The editor wants to call me after Easter to discuss ideas and deadlines and has asked if I have any material she can look at in the meantime. I have duly emailed back with a brief synopsis of the two and a half books, so hopefully she will tell me which she likes the idea of the most and we can take it from there.
At some point over the next week I'll get a synopsis of the rejected book done and start subbing it elsewhere. I also have a full with Entangled (I won a pitch competition in February and they requested the full) which I am waiting to hear back from so it's by no means all doom and gloom. If anything, I feel surprisingly cheerful (was a bit down last night but hey ho, you have to take the knocks).
Thanks for all the wonderful support you have given me during this - it really is appreciated.

Take care all xxx

15 comments:

  1. Hugs on the rejection, although it really isn't one, is it! You've really caught their attention and I can't believe publication is far away. Loads of luck with the next stages and also with Entangled - I saw you'd won that pitch comp and I hope they take it as it's your NV entry and I'd love to hear how that pans out! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlotte - I've been following your progress and I'm absolutely positive you'll be sharing your good news soon xxx

      Delete
  2. I feel a little prophetic(go with it). I mean, sure, the dream wasn't dead on, but it still feels like a win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I mean, your dream never gave a date or anything!!! xxx

      Delete
  3. Chocs and Champers!

    You deserve both, and after reading how far you've come with Marco and Pippa (and the proposed stories) I know I'll be raising a glass for you shortly. You certainly have got a voice to love, Michelle, Sally was telling the truth! What I've read of your work has enthralled me, Siobhan's story is the kind of Presents-with-a-twist they need and Meghans's story almost had me in tears (and giggles) simultaneously!

    I know you'll get there soon. You have worked so hard and come so far!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the chocs and champers and the kind words - seriously, it's the support that I get from you and everyone else that makes it easy to carry on xxx

      Delete
  4. *hugs* on the R, Michelle! But I love that you're so positive about it. You do have a lot to celebrate. Good luck with your submissions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michelle
    So sorry about the R but if it had to be an R it is certainly the best way to get one and I really believe it just a step on the way to the Call.
    Hope you have enjoyed a glass or two or even three of wine and very best of luck with the next project.
    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - the wine went down very nicely thank you! x

      Delete
  6. You still sound like you're doing so well, well done you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you are forging ahead really well, it's such a brutal learning process at times, good luck with your next project and finding a home for this one too. I just went ahead and published two novellas on Amazon for kindle, have you considered going that route?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am exploring other avenues for the book thank you! Wishing you the best of luck with your novellas xxx

      Delete